View Single Post
      04-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #51
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
Thanks again for all the additional insights. Definitely narrowing my search for the following (in order):
  • i3
  • 128i
  • E90
  • E46

Coincidently FCP Blog just posted this article on exactly what I was looking for. It's reassuring to see so many overlaps with your recommendations. You guys definitely know your BMWs. I'm getting there, but I only have 4 years of ownership experience.

Exactly. BMW novice mistake 101. Coming from a 2013 C350, I wanted a bigger car and a V8. Didn't want to spend E63 or M5 money at the time and so I was left with the 550i or an S6. Glad I made the decision to go with BMW but had I known more about the N63 (even if tu), probably would have talked myself out of a V8 and got a F80 M3. Oh well.
Be careful with the E46, make sure the subframe recall was done. Personally, if I'm looking at cars from that era again, I'd go with the E39 over the E46 (I used to have a 328i from back then).

As for the i3, I can't help but looking at them as well because they offer something completely different than what I have now. Beware of the early models though, they had issues with AC compressors sending shrapnel all over the cooling system for the battery, potentially totalling the car. Not sure if the new compressors fixed that problem or not.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0