View Single Post
      06-10-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

Hey guys, sorry work has been pretty busy and life with kids.. fun fun. Anyways, no significant updates on the car. I added back my own custom open air intake cone and no noticeable difference in the logging of the car. However, I believe that the car crackles and pops more which is .. cool. It could just be the way I'm driving it, if I leave it in comfort or even regular sport mode and drive it nicely there's no big difference. In sport "plus" ie lever to the left... upon any decel/gear shift it will crackle. It definitely took more effort with the stock box to make noises. Intake Air temp doesn't seem to be any noticeably higher, it climbs when at a stop, but once going on the road it's fine (as expected) I did not have the time nor effort to go driving around logging the IAT and swapping back to the stock box.

So the car sits at approx 2.5psi over stock which I can't really notice it being drastically faster. It's still fun either way. I got the EWG plug, but once I figured out where that darned thing is, I got stuck. So the wastegate and turbo combo looks to be literally sandwiched between the engine and the glove box. I took apart a ton of pieces and then got stuck. It seems to be that the stock air intake snorkel needs to come off. This would be a nice piece to replace with a metal intake for nice sound.. there seems to be a huuuge dampener at the top of the engine. This is fastened by BMW's famous C clip pieces. Problem is, there's like no room to reach or pull it off. I stopped there. I might take more pieces apart in the future, but the effort just wasn't in me.

Terry is very responsive once I got a hold of him. He offered pretty much to take all the logs and tweak things as I ran and logged the car. He was lightning fast, and a few times I even got to do some map editing after I was done getting out of the grocery store Terry said that it looks like the wastegate control isn't very good, possibly the EWG plug could help him drive more boost out of the car, but otherwise it might be best left as is and enjoy. I plan to one day push a little further for fun.

If I can find the time or a dyno day I'll get the car on, it's super easy to switch maps now that everything is saved and flashed. Sorry I'm sure that the dyno numbers would be the absolute best verdict on the value of it all.

One thing to note: If the car's internal oil temp hasn't hit high enough.. can't remember what it was.. 121F? Then if you romp on it, the car will jump into failsafe mode. JB4 does not switch back to custom map until after you stop and restart the car. A bunch of times (and overboost) it would do this and I did feel the car get slower, but surprisingly not that much slower. Warm up the car nicely
Appreciate 0