02-06-2019, 04:01 AM   #20
iceman7
Second Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI sDrive 18i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJE60 View Post
You make a very good point, installing an android unit also allows people to get sat nav if they only have media and communications head unit from the factory. My own opinion is that the mapping for my own country (u.k) in BMW business navigation is out of date, some road changes made 5 years ago are still not showing in latest updates, so alternative mapping might also be beneficial. It is great to have so many X1 owners from different countries around the world sharing knowledge and experience. Do X1 owners in Greece have a favourite/recommended supplier for android system, €300 is a good price. I assume this is for box and cabling using existing display screen or does it include new larger screen also?
Best wishes
For most of us in Greece ordering a BMW navi system would increase ridiculously the price of the X1 due to the absurd Greek tax system. The initial solution of the local BMW affiliate was to retrofit BMW integrated navi (aftermarket but BMW endorsed) for 690 euros and free map upgrades for 2 years. This retrofit used the existing 6,5 screen.
However this solution is incompatible with after July 2017 F48 that have the NBT EVO system.

Therefore we have been looking for an affordable 3rd party solution and found many Chinese manufactured ones in various sites (including Ali-express).
Most of Greek users have bought from a Spanish retailer at around 500 euros (https://exclusivecarauto.com/advance...f0e5d2&x=0&y=0) that has proven fine.

Greek shops were also selling the same units but at 800-1000 euros!!
Installation was done by some our club members so the whole upgrade (including rear camera) was cheap.
As time passes more and more units have flooded Aliexpress and ebay lowering the prices to almost 300 euros. One of our members has just bough one of these cheaper ones.
All in all the android screen upgrade is worth the money even if you already own a BMW navi pack, since you benefit from the larger screen that enhances the looks of the car, an android tablet and touch screen as well as alternative navi software with live traffic and frequent map updates.
Personally I paid 480 euros for one of the first android 4.4.4. units but I can use google maps, waze, sygic as well as other software on a big hefty 10,25 screen and got a rear camera too!
Good deal considering the price of the BMW original navi systems let alone the heavy Greek taxation.

Last edited by iceman7; 02-07-2019 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 2
MJE60678.00