04-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #7
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveS View Post
Not driven the 330d, but its my understanding that the two turbos on the 335d are fixed vane and therefore are better for power delivery across the narrower rev range that they operate. The variable vane single turbo of the 330d must operate across the entire range od revs and this reduces its ability to deliver the same amount of airflow. Therefore from start off the 335d smaller turbo will be better at delivering power than the single turbo of the 330d, so the 335d will pick up better with less lag. I thought this was the whole point of the bi-turbo system.

Maybe its not that noticeable when driving them separately as they are both quick, but the two alongside each other then the 335d will pull ahead from the outset, otherwise what's the point?
I think your right. I have been reading up and apparently the 330d has a twin scroll, single turbo whereas the 335d has two separate turbos and therefore reducing turbo lag. The twin scroll has two separate chambers but only one turbo...I think.
Appreciate 0