View Single Post
      07-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
bimmer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I also found out that those annoying little colorful dots on new tires are put there in the manufacturing process to denote the "low" and "high" spots on the tire. As no tire is "perfectly" round, again on the "microscopic" level for lack of a better term. So when you buy a new car, and there is a freakin' sticker on your wheel and a dot on your tire, they were actually there for a very important purpose so that the "tire guy" could match the low spots and keep the high spots away from each other so that the roadforce number is as low as possible! Or, I guess a better explanation is to keep the roadforce number within spec, as what I am seeing is that if a wheel and tire combo "passes" on the machine, trying to lower the roadforce number arbitrarily just to get a lower number doesn't effect ride. I guess it's kinda like if you can hammer a nail with a regular hammer, using a sledgehammer would work, but it would provide no benefit. Just FYI, another practically useless fact I uncovered while reading about this stuff.
Appreciate 0