View Single Post
      01-04-2018, 06:05 AM   #171
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Just to clarify here, you need to plug your laptop into the switch or nvr to be on the same network correct?

I can't just be connected to my router and change my IP correct? Because the NVR&Switch are on a different subnet?
As long as your laptop and your camera you are trying to configure are connected on the same physical switch. You don't have to make any changes to any existing device you have running on your switch in terms of IP addressing. Many people think you can't have multiple subnets running on the same physical switch. This is false. There are reasons you don't want to have multiple subnets mixed together and there are times when it is appropriate to have multiple subnets mixed together.

Technically, you can plug your laptop directly into the camera. But the camera has to have power. If you have a PoE injector, then you can make this work. Or if you have a wall wart/power brick/power adapter you can plug into the camera, this will work too. I found a wall wart from an old Netgear wireless router I don't use any more which works with the Hikvision cameras. Each Hikvision camera has a 12V power jack as an optional power source.
Appreciate 0