07-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #83
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
While I agree with just about everything you are saying, I do not find either the X1 or the X2 roomy from the drivers perspective.

And that ungodly gear shifter is the worst on any modern BMW.
They’re both significantly roomier than the original X1, despite the exterior dimensions of the new one being smaller.

To the guy that said “no one asked for bigger cars, in other countries I’m used to riding in a Golf with three other 6’ 190lb people”, the Golf is a transverse engine, FWD vehicle. That’s why you can fit four 6’ 190lb people in one. Try that in the original X1, or an E46. You might not want a bigger car, but people do want more spacious cars, even if they’re small cars. If Bmw made an E46 today it would be praised for its dynamics and then lose every comparison because the A3 and A-class are more practical, which also happen to be pretty good dynamically. Don’t believe me? It already happens in Europe as the outgoing 1-series hatch matches up against Audi and Benz models. Should heritage matter to BMW? Sure. Should selling 1000 cars to one small enthusiast group outweigh selling 10000 to everyone else? No. You want BMW to keep doing what they were doing while everyone else changes. I’d rather BMW adapt. The three best selling Porsche’s are two SUV’s and a large luxury sedan. That’d have been heresy twenty years ago. Ask Kodak what happens when you don’t adapt to changes in the market.

They’re not going to please everyone all the time. But they are pleasing more people than they ever have, and that’s what allows them to build those M2’s. So keep adapting BMW, and hopefully there’s something you like when it comes time. On the plus side, if BMW doesn’t make it, no one else probably does either.
Appreciate 0