View Single Post
      02-10-2021, 02:43 AM   #37
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
Looking at the stellar M1 reviews really makes me wonder what Intel has been doing for so long. Apple Silicon/ARM processors aren't new but they seem like the rookie that's smoking the veterans with energy for overtime.
It's the price you have to pay for extreme backwards compatibility.
Intel doesn't give a shit about apple, their main target is x86/x64 based pc (mainly windows based machines) as that market is way way bigger.
And microsoft has this thing about legacy compatibility.

Arm base processors have been superior in the performance per watt game (which this is ultimately about) for decades as it's a platform specifically designed for low energy consumption (handhelds etc). It's not a new platform, it's origins date back to the 80's (the A stands for Acorn). So there's no rookie here. x86 is only ~10 years older.

It would be interesting to compare apple's m1 cpu to smartphone cpu's. these are also usually ARM based and also have insane processing power per watt.
I think this is both because of the 5nm process. Both the M1 and top end smartphone cpu's are based on 5nm CPU lithography whereas Intel cpu's are currently on 10nm.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 02-10-2021 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
JasonDot579.50