DenverBMW
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 230i, 1997 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
DYB?

I wonder what 6MT swaps will look like on these cars. Haven't seen too much regarding auto->MT swaps since the e46. It's very well documented on the earlier 3-series generations but cars made in the last 15 years or so have very limited info.

Maybe the effort required isn't worth it, or the supply of MT cars hasn't dried up to the point that swapping an auto car makes more sense than buying a manual one.

But if we're faced with a new gen that doesn't come in a manual, and presumably the last gen's 6MT will bolt up to the engine; you'd basically need a custom length driveshaft (or one from the M car), clutch pedal and shifter setup, and whatever software wizardry to keep the ECU/TCU/Chassis computer happy and you could have a bespoke 6MT G42 for what, $5k or so on top of the purchase price? Would there be a market for this if the M2 is ~$10k over the 240, who knows...maybe BMW is simply forcing the MT (I'm dropping the 6 here because we could really use a 7MT in this day and age) crowd to the M cars
A DYB is "driver your brand". I am a client advisor and we get to lease new cars for a year.

yea i think we don't see it much anymore because of all the electronics and stuff.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50