View Single Post
      11-05-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

Unhappy Lotus Evora GT is not what I expected

Hi all!

I went to the Lotus dealer to check out my current automotive crush—the new Emira—and ended up test driving an Evora GT instead. (They didn’t have an Emira demonstrator on hand.) The Evora is a car I strongly considered buying 3 years ago, so it was great to finally drive one!

Lotus, to me, is a halo brand for talkative steering. For this reason, I expected the Evora GT to have the perfect combination of extraordinary steering feel, mid-engine sports car moves, and evocative styling. Well, two out of three isn’t bad…right?

The styling was a knock-out (especially in vivid green), the brakes saved me from rear ending a bonehead SUV driver, the chassis had grip for days, and the engine had a fantastic roar. But the steering…

Honestly, I was let down by the steering. Yes, it was quick and communicative, but I wanted Lotus Elise or 997 911 GT3 levels of feel and feedback, and the Evora GT didn't have that.

(Here is a link to my full writeup on the drive.)

The experience has me questioning my Emira crush, because I’ve heard its steering is even less lively than the Evora’s. Once the dealership has an Emira demonstrator, I’ll try it for myself and see. But in the meantime, I’m full of mixed feelings about the Evora GT and Emira.

Best,
Mike