Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't really see how.

Watches, fancy ones that folks get all "uppity" about, are pretty uncommon in the sense that the thing about which folks get on their "high horse" over is the extent of direct effort the maker puts into creating the watch. Did s/he make this part himself or did s/he buy it from an external supplier? I don't think that sort of thing goes on with any other kind of luxury good.

All the best.
This got me thinking. What if a cell phone manufacturer came out with a phone and decided to use their own "in-house processor" as opposed to one from a real cpu maker? It definitely would not make it more desirable. So I was quick to agree.

But then I thought, what if a car company like BMW or Chevy couldn't make a flagship model using an engine they made themselves? I think it speaks to the capabilities of the brand. It's possible a third party engine may be a better fit but may not be as good for image? I may be way off on that, as I'm sure there's high end cars and Super Cars with borrowed engines.

But I do think that line of reasoning is applicable to watches. I think it says something about the prestige of a watchmaker if they make an in-house movement. That's not to say any mediocre company isn't capable of just putting out a shite movement but I think that it may be expected of the big players now a days - i.e. Having an in-house doesn't mean you're respected but being respected means you're expected to have an in-house.

Not knowing a great deal about watches (relative to people like you or hardcore enthusiasts), I think I'd be more comfortable investing in an expensive watch knowing that the brand had an in-house movement even if that was not the model I was buying.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0