View Single Post
      11-04-2019, 07:22 PM   #10
//TMT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i, 2005 Volvo V50T5

Speaking of the engine tech manual, I think this section explains the noise. It's a consequence of the design, to enable the catalytic converter to come up to operating temperature quickly, achieving the desired emissions certification.

I added some emphasis.

Quote:
Catalytic converter heating

When starting the combustion engine from cold, the wastegate valve is opened as wide as possible and the ignition point is adjusted to retard. The retarded ignition point delays the combustion process which in turn supports the heat input for heating of the catalytic converter. As the turbine housing is short , it has been possible to position the catalytic converter very close to the wastegate valve. As the exhaust gas flows into the catalytic converter at the perfect angle and because of its position close to the engine, the catalytic converter reaches its operating temperature very quickly. If the wastegate valve is opened when cold, pulsation of the exhaust gas may cause vibrations in the wastegate valve, which are perceived as noise. This is not due to a defective component, and is normal running noise. This noise becomes less audible as the temperature of the component increases.
Appreciate 0