View Single Post
      03-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #216
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Nice congrats! You want a big aperture (low F-stop aka a "fast" lens) for some bokeh, I would avoid creating it in photoshop as they always look bad and fake unless you are very very very very good at it. Alternatively, you can use a long focal length lens to create separation ie bokeh. My go-to lens at the moment is a 16-35mm F/2.8. I can get nice and wide for landscape shots, go to 35mm and open the aperture up to get some portrait type shots. I also have that 24-105 f/4 and you can create some decent bokeh at close to 105mm. It's a very versatile lens.

If you want an easy fast lens to play with that doesn't cost that much, try the "nifty 50" 50mm f/1.8. If want something a little more interesting I recommend the 85mm f/1.8, which to me is a nice lens for automotive photography. I used it for this shot:

thanks. yeah i keep forgetting big aperture = low f-stop. Doing more research and i agree... better to have the right lens for the job than to try and create an effect in photoshop. less time consuming this way too. I downloaded LR last night and played around with it, a bit more intuitive for color correction / lighting than photoshop.

camera should be here next wednesday. looking forward to playing around with the settings, subject matter, and getting some feedback here.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 1
jmg18658.50