Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Of course you'll only get cop locations (Waze) via CarPlay or Android Auto. No car maker will ship that functionality in their system (and we should be happy they don't as it would probably lead to laws banning the apps).

I'm very happy we're moving toward choices so we can all be happy...

The BMW CarPlay charge isn't exciting, but it isn't expensive enough to be bothered too much by...
Indeed-- I have no expectation BMW will add Waze support. But, really, that is kind of the underlying problem with iDrive, eh?

iDrive is, generally, kind of up to date with some features of a phone the year you buy the car. Each year that passes it gets more out of date and less supported.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) is driven by the phone-- so if you have a car that supports it, 10 years from now you'll still have all the latest apps/features through carplay.

CarPlay (and one day android auto) also doesn't require you to have an otherwise useless data plan for your car, since it uses the phone data you're paying for either way.

There's just no comparison in my mind-- iDrive starts out not as good, and then gets worse every year you own the car while carplay (and one day android auto) get better, while being cheaper to use.

Having wireless carplay in almost all my cars now feels like living in a happy, alternate future, where actual software engineers make user interfaces and everything works as I'd hope/expect-- all with no additional effort (phone stays in my pocket) or expense (data plan for the car).

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 1