LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I don't know-- whatever they put in in 2017.

My wants are pretty specific-- police locations, so I can keep my driver's license.

I do think my frustration with iDrive is how limited/useless it is compared to the head unit in my e46. In the e46 I can pull and reset codes for every module on the car, code the car, run harry's GPS lap timer on track, add extra gauges for things I care about, etc... and have Waze for cop locations plus my whole music/podcast library, in an easy to navigate while driving interface, without having to take my phone out of my pocket-- and all without paying for any monthly subscriptions beyond my existing phone bill.

iDrive does far, FAR less, what it does I don't really care about, and every aspect of what it does is more distracting and slower.

I hate it.
Of course you'll only get cop locations (Waze) via CarPlay or Android Auto. No car maker will ship that functionality in their system (and we should be happy they don't as it would probably lead to laws banning the apps).

I'm very happy we're moving toward choices so we can all be happy...

The BMW CarPlay charge isn't exciting, but it isn't expensive enough to be bothered too much by...
Appreciate 0