View Single Post
      08-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #70
OUGrad05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 and 2022 Acura MDX

Many my absolute favorite would be one of the cars I grew up lusting after I suppose...

E34 M5 - Or even the generic 5 series. At this point BMW was at their peak in terms of engineering lead, driving dynamics and reliability IMO. I know several people that had E34's that were fantastically reliable, drove well, were quiet and held up extremely well. A good friend of mine wrecked his in 2003, it was a 1994 with 170k on the clock and the highway patrol said the car saved his life, they'd never seen anyone survive something like that. Basically a piece of fence flew off a truck in front of him lodged itself in his windshield, as he tried to avoid it he hit a bridge post. Walked away...

Another car? The E36 M3...4 door family hauler, reasonably affordable and fantastic performance. Not exactly the most reliable, cooling system issues seemed to plague the cars...but man I wanted one.

E39 5 series, perhaps the best car ever for its time? While I would disagree with this, many journalists and enthusiasts call it the best car of its time period, especially the M5. I know a few folks that owned them, not exactly the most reliable unless you had a lower trim car. The V8 cars in particular were troublesome and all seemed to be plagued with power window/door lock issues and water pump/cooling issues.

Those would be the three that put BMW on the map. I still think about pulling the trigger on a clean E34.