Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 DCT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
There are some threads under the wheels and tires section which confirm that under heavy cornering they rub. I believe BMW had stated in the past that this is the reason they didn't put the wider tires on the M2. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. *ahem* Artemis...
Here's what M2 project manager Frank Isenberg said at the end of 2015 about the M2 tires, suspension and brakes:
"That chunkier body - 55mm wider front, 80mm rear - is essential to cover wider track courtesy of M4 forged aluminium suspension components. «The track is the same, but the M4 tyres wouldn't fit, so the tyres are 10mm narrower,» says Isenberg. The Michelin Pilot Sports measure 245/35 ZR19 front, 265/35 ZR19 rear.
The suspension is matched to bespoke springs and dampers but there's no adapative suspension. «The problem with adaptive dampers is you're changing the damper, not the spring, so you end up with a spring that is a compromise between two settings,» explains Isenberg.
Underneath the M2's squat body, additional bracing increases rigidity. «Boomerang braces» arc between headlamps and front wings, struts angled at 45 degrees glint through both kidney grilles like a rollcage through a rear window, and both the A-pillar and boot also sent for reinforcements.
The M4's optional carbon-ceramic brakes aren't offered, engineers arguing that the cost, plus the reduced power and weight of the M2 negate the need. Instead, regular M4 brakes are carried over - drilled discs all round, four-piston calipers front, two-piston rear - and you can ask your dealer for track pads; there's no performance increase and they squeak, but the last longer."
(source: here)
Regarding suspension and the forthcoming M2 Competition:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebiglubinsky View Post
Do you guys think BMW will offer the M3/M4's adaptive suspension? I passed on the car cause of the rough ride but if they offered a more comfortable suspension option, that would be a game changer.
Alike in base M2 VIN build sheets, nowhere in 'M2 Competition' VIN build sheets any reference whatsoever to the Adaptive M Suspension (BMW code 2VF).

Riding a horse: just one setting and that's it. It's just a matter of getting a good horse.
M4 666m's do fit just fine dressed in 265 and 285 rubber with no rub on stock height and adjusted MP coils set-up.
Technically Frank had to say they didn't fit as the car had to leave the factory conforming to particular automotive standards - one of them being the fitting of snow chains. But as we know, snow chains are rarely on our modding lists so larger size works just fine.
Appreciate 1