05-08-2016, 05:17 AM   #21
Arcanum-UK
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i on Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
The whole point is that they do not allow your body to move out of the way. The fact that they are street legal and certified doesn't matter. If your roof is crushed your body can't move out of the way.

With Front end collisions submarining is also an issue.
Firstly, submarining is not an issue with the right seat, belts and mounting points.

I rolled a car when I was 18-years old - two rotations in a little Fiat Uno. To think you can intentionally move your head out of the way of a roof being crushed is naive. You are being chucked around in the car by the violence of the accident.

Despite my own experience, a car rolling is extremely rare. And I've done plenty of trackdays and been to many motorsport events. Sure, it does happen, but not often. It's also pretty rare on the road - outside of SUVs rolling over because of their high centre of gravity.

A harness will keep you secure in the seat and reduce injury in all of the other accidents you are likely to have. In the super unlikely event a roll-over that crushes the roof enough to impact your head because you are in a harness you're probably screwed anyway.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have a roll-bar, just that a proper seat and harness is still a good safety (and driving) upgrade over a normal seat.
Appreciate 0