View Single Post
      02-10-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Bought a 2022 35i

Greetings X2 heads, I just joined your cult this past weekend.

Our 2014 X3 has reached the mileage where it needs $$$$ to continue, being loaded to the gills with all possible options. So I’ve decided to sell it, and was aimlessly looking for a replacement, hopefully still from the BMW family.

540i… drove it, too soft and lazy steering.
X3… been there done that.
X1… not enough to distinguish.
3 series G generation… big and meh. And I hate the instrument cluster.
3 series F generation wagon… now we’re talking, but couldn’t find the one special enough with the options I want. Kept looking for one though…

On a whim, after visiting my mechanic to fix some X3 issue, I stopped at a dealer and test drove a 2019 X2 M35i, because why not. I had always liked the shape and form factor. As soon as I turned the wheel getting out of their cramped lot knew my search was over.

Just… not that one, didn’t have the right options for me, and wasn’t certified. So I tried placing an order. Nope, order book is closed with no eta. WTF. I started looking at national ads for one with the specs I wanted, and found a used 2022 in Chicagoland. Hmmm…

So never having visited the city, my wife and I hopped on a plane, bought the car, enjoyed the rest of the day sight seeing, and brought the car home this Sunday.

As you well know, it’s a blast to drive. One of the most resolved BMWs of the last decade IMO, with a clear mission and perfect delivery of it. A nervous little ball of energy, always up for a romp, infectious character. Yet somehow, at least on the 19” wheels and DDC, comfortable for a 10 hr drive with no problem. Well done BMW. Too bad it seems to be a well kept secret…

If I was truly devious, I’d throw a set of stickies on it and go embarrass some fancy stuff at the track. Hmmm… year isn’t over yet.

So now, the battle for the keys has begun. My son is suddenly offering his mint E46 to drive, my wife is arguing that it isn’t yet Z4 weather and as for me, well I’m the registered owner right?

Looking forward to be part of the community.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1