View Single Post
      10-12-2020, 11:10 PM   #7
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bngcruiser View Post
Any concerns with new contis on dry cold roads? West Yellowstone showing a high of 46 on Saturday as I drive through it ..

.. I've been in blizzards in West Yellowstone in my Subaru STI with snow tires on and my front bumper acting as a plow before. I know I won't be able to deal with snow at all with new contis .. but what about the colder temps?
Road temp in the day will be warmer than the air temp in most places (while at night it can be colder than the air temp). Tire temp will be even warmer from friction usually. My tires have temp sensors and after a fair bit of driving, they get into the "normal" temp just fine, even when it's a little chilly.
Combine all of that with a trip where you will have ample time to warm the tires up from friction (not launching at 7am to tear up the 38 degree mountain canyon most likely with cold tires). We autocross in some fairly chilly temps and the change as the tires and ground warms is significant, but at the same time it's not some cliff that once it's below 45 degrees all of a sudden nothing works either.