02-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #26
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShankM8 View Post
Can you please share how you got the dash trim off? I'm worried I'll damage the LED lighting.

Also did you have to get the CID trim too?:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...d/51459292128/
No, I didn’t buy the trim, instead I stretched the existing adapter trim (see below) but if cost is not great buy the 8.8” size. There is only about 5mm diff in width. Make sure you use plastic trim removal tool, not metal, however only needed for the dash fascia trim.

The things I found tricky and advice;
1. In order to access the CID screen screws you will have to remove the fascia from the (radio/ac multi instrument display) as well as strip along front of dash. Start by removing radio/control fascia first, it is held in place by 4 clips & 3 studs. The 3 studs clip into the dash strip. Start at bottom and pull straight out (not too far as wire & plugs). You do not need to disconnect leads, just let it rest on centre consol.
2. For dash trim, start by passenger door, it pulls straight out but work your way along. The air vents will come out with the fascia strip, you will need to unclip the two leads for hazard/assist buttons. Two centre clips will probably be missing on the fascia trim in case you think you lost them, BMW saving a cent in the factory!
3. The screen is held in by two posi screws. Be careful, it is easy to lose them both. Make a tray out of Tin foil to place in gap between CID and the HU.
4. You do not need to remove the HU. Once CID screws are removed gently pull out, the cable will come out by about 6 inches which is enough to rotate the CID to get access to the plug in the back.
4. The plug is difficult to remove and the plastic is soft. There is a small clip on one side, press on and use a lflat blade screwdriver in lip at top to prise up the plug, it separates about 2/3 way down length but join can be difficult to see.
5. Once CID is unplugged, remove the tray in sits in. Take this indoors to work on or buy a replacement 8.8” size. If you use 6.5” tray you will have to adjust it slightly.
The 6.5” screen tray will need to be widened by a few mm (1/8th inch) either side. I used a hot air gun to soften the plastic and used the 8.8” screen to stretch the tray. I also used heated bolt (flame torch) of correct diameter to push the bottom edge of side lips down and sideways. With care the 8.8” screen will fit without showing any distortion or damage to the tray.
6. Refit, again take special care not to lose screws (tin foil tray).
7. Code new screen, it will not power up until coded. I have detailed the 4 fdl coding changes needed on a couple of different threads.
8. If it does power up and shows “no signal” (rare) then you have a problem and will need bmw unlock code (parts protection). Seller on eBay provides unlock service.
9. Send me a pic when it’s done. I would also be grateful if you clicked the appreciate tab on this reply.

P.s coding changes.
Using Bimmercode in expert mode HU NBT 3005 display_pip_config section
Change CID_Display_res from 800x480 to 1280x480
Change CID_Display_ size from 6.5 to 8.8
Now go out and enter 3001 section and find
Display_Variante and change from schmal (German for narrow) to breites (wide)
Now go into 3006 Nav section
Find Display_Resolution and change from 800x480 to 1280x480
In brief 4 coding changes in 3 separate section of NBT HU ecu
All changes require expert mode.
Screen works after first two code changes, nav will work also but you need to change res in nav section to get full screen effect in map view and finally section 3005 change is needed otherwise idrive home screen will only show two menu icons (like in 6.5 display) rather than 3.

Last edited by MJE60; 02-21-2019 at 02:11 PM..
Appreciate 4
NJDK21.50
SHKM815.50