View Single Post
      12-03-2020, 07:11 AM   #206
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Finances are a tough one. Not everyone is able to suss out how much debt their partner has when they get married. People mostly discuss bills and stuff when they live together. My wife had student loans, credit maxed out... We spent a good ten years of our marriage repairing her credit and paying things off. When she landed a job paying more than $150,000 a year it felt like we were going backwards as she wanted to buy things. That's been one of the ongoing challenges. Then when cancer developed her medical bills were killing me. I was working 4 jobs on a 7 day week to bring in more than $300,000 a year. We come from different families. Her old man lived for the day and used credit like no tomorrow. He's in his 80's with more than $60,000 in debts and still being chased by creditors. Mine on the opposite saved hard and worked hard. I didn't even know what debt or credit were until I got married. Thankfully there is an end in sight and she's making a good recovery. We had to temporarily move to the UK and give up our home in AZ so we could get the treatment she needed. Her debts became "our" debts. My dad always kept his accounts separate from my mom. My wife thinks I may as well not be with her if we don't have a joint account. Shit made me ill. I was out of work. Too stressed to work. Couldn't function. Couldn't even buy a loaf of bread. Thankfully one of her uncle knows a great financial expert. He educated my wife and she has been saving since. Often surprising me by paying $2000 into my checking account. It was a long hard road though and it nearly broke us. I didn't trust her with money but now I know if she uses it then it will be replaced with surplus.
Appreciate 1