View Single Post
      11-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #170
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Kids are hardy and adapt easily to change, and they will get over it.
Agreed. My wife's parents divorced when she was 5. It crushed her that her dad left. Her mom tried her hardest to keep her dad out of the picture as well just because that's how she is. My wife is 45 and still struggles with the divorce and general lack of a dad as she grew up. I have a number of friends that grew up in divorced homes. They've all said it was terrible and exhausting. The kid's weekends were wrecked because they are constantly getting transported around, the parents saying things about the the other parent they shouldn't to the kids, fights about money amongst the parents, and lots of a boyfriend/girlfriend/stepparent issues. I don't have a single friend from a divorced home that wishes it on anyone.

Marriage and kids:

1) Before you get married, think damn hard about how much you're willing to compromise.

2) Once married, accept compromise and work through your issues like an adult.

3) Think damn hard about bringing kids into this world and your marriage.

4) Once you have kids, you must be prepared to compromise with your partner as you'll often be at odds about what you view as best for the kids.

Kids will DEFINITELY not help a compromised marriage. Having kids is full of compromise and you can pretty much forget about having much "you time" or alone time with your partner for the first 10-13 years of a child's life.