View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I just ordered a replacement pair yesterday, my first bifocals at almost 52yo. I've worn contacts since I was about 16, and my prescription for distance has not changed for about 30 years. About 3 yeras ago Dr. started adding progressive bifocal on the contacts. I still have a bit of difficulty seeing really small with the contacts. If I want to see close up, I either get out a magnifying glass, or take off the contacts.

I got basic metal frames that were really comfortable - $35. Bifocal with a line was $67. Since I'm -4.00 I opted for polycarbonate so they wouldn't quite be coke bottles - $43. Transitions cost me $97, but there is no way I'm wearing my shades over my specs.

I'll rarely (I hope) wear these glasses. I have them for on-call status. If the PD calls me at 0-dark thirty, I probably can't put in my contacts. I use a H2O2 cleaning solution for the contacts, and they have to sit for 6+ hours. I made the mistake of putting them in early ONCE.

Because these would be used so rarely (I hope) Dr. recommended AGAINST progressives because of the learning curve.
I opted out of the transition lenses. The lady helping me pick out frames mentioned that they wouldn't go dark inside my car or if I wore a baseball cap. I suppose I will just swap between shades and rx while driving. Can't say that blame you on the progressives. I've heard from several people that it will mess with me until I get used to them. I really wish I didn't have to wait 2 weeks. I walked around yesterday with one dilated and my vision is all out of sorts today.
Appreciate 0