vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Where the hell are the in rack/in row UPS'? If those were in place, none of the power issues they blame from the generator testing would have affected your equipment.
I can state with authority that rack-mounted APC Smart-UPS dual conversion or switched transfer UPS units do not like dirty/shaky generator power. They keep flapping back to battery power on every minor ripple, and ultimately deplete their batteries because they won't steadily recharge from the generator feed. One of our buildings at work had a 15K generator dedicated to keeping the phone PBX running, connected to 6K of APC UPS. Upgrading to a 25K generator made the UPS units more tolerant of the generator power, but they still flap at times. Edge closets all over the grounds have similar problems on generator power. I've read online a general rule of thumb for APC UPS units is to size the generator at 3x the capacity of the UPS, but my experience is that 4x is still not perfect.

For my own house, I went with two Eaton UPS units. They are happy on our 6.5K portable generator, which has the ugliest power output imaginable. I have a tiny home-grade APC unit on my weather station, and it also flaps its transfer relay every 5-10 seconds whenever the generator is running. The stuff to power the weather station via PoE is on my project bench, to rid my house of that APC scourge.....