06-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #21
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrveron View Post
Hi ZZZZ, how are you?

Sorry but the OEM 19" wheels are 8" wide (https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/x1/2017/).

We also have a user in the forum who installed 245 tires in OEM 19" wheels (https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1729957&page=2).

I know it for sure because I'm also looking to replace my OEM 18" with 19" wheels, 8" or 8.5" wide. I was convinced to use P-Zero 245/40r19 run-flat tires, but now you are making me hesitate, haha. But at the same time, I want to keep using run-flat tires for safety. If I have a puncture, I don't need to stop the car to replace it. Trust me, here in Mexico is important...
Sorry, you're right. Yes stock 19's are 8" wide and most aftermarket 19's are 8.5". My stock msport 19's are 8". I replaced with 8.5's for summer wheels and wish I did go with a wider tire as I'm not a fan of the stretched look. But I think I've given up as much understeer as I can handle by going from ET47 to ET40 already. My wife noticed right away that the car didn't turn right away as she's used to.

And I totally understand the appeal of runflats and can't argue the merits. My x1 already has msport suspension and 19" wheels. With michelin runflats the ride is very choppy and loud. I sold those and put non rft Conti winters on my msport wheels and went aftermarket with michelin all season sports for the summer. The ride is pretty good now though there's quite a bit of sidewall flex on aggressive turns. I do keep a can of tire repair sealant in the trunk too. I've also had an F10 5 series which came with runflats which cracked my rims. (the stiff sidewalls are known for damaging rims) so I've had a bad experience there. E85 z4 also had a punishing ride from the factory so I ended up downsizing those wheels and going non rft which made the world of difference. That car was made when bmw was just migrating to rft tires and haven't figured out their suspension tuning yet.
Appreciate 0