05-17-2021, 02:51 PM   #38
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
That's the M340's weak spot, everything else is brilliant in the car. I have had it almost 2 years now and even Lexus manages to offer better steering feel. What they can't figure it out boggles the mind. I heard the new G8X cars are better in this regard as least compared to its predecessor but still not as great as some of it's competitors ala Alfa/Caddy etc.
"steering feel" is really broken into two buckets
Accuracy and feedback
Customers on the whole want accurate steering, customers on the whole DO NOT want feedback. The small shoebox of enthusiasts non-withstanding.
I think the best example was C+D did a preprod test drive of the G20 330 and the engineer along for the ride explained that too much feedback made the preferred driving style (one hand on top of the wheel) noticeably more difficult to manage.
While its true feedback is harder to engineer with electric, if it made a difference to overall customer NPS and sales BMW would find a way to engineer it back in. They do not care because their customers do not care. (Again, other than the small shoebox of enthusiasts)
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
JTO245274.50