View Single Post
      09-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #666
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Anyone seen Ad Asstra? I haven't but from what I've heard, it's like Apocalypse Now but in space. The beef is that it's too much of a carbon copy. I think most directors should learn by now that these kind of movies are very different to pull off. Most of the time, they all end up in a bunch of mumbo jumbo philosophical mess. The movie landscape has been littered with these kinds of movies. The most recent example was Interstellar. The most successful of these type of movie probably is Stanley Kubrick 2001, but the problem is there is only one Stanley Kubrick and of course Ad Asstra director is no Kubrick :-) And even then, 2001 wasn't that well received when it came out and only got appreciated eventually by the silicon valley generation.

Gravity and The Martian worked because those movies know to stay away from the so called let-me-teach-you-a-lesson pit(t) fall but just simply try to entertain. Although there is a bit of a lesson in Gravity but it is so well hidden and subtle that only those who cared would realized. That is the mark of a good movie. Even if you don't care, you get entertained anyway. If you care, you'll get something to chew on while driving home.
Appreciate 0