12-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #78
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
He said he did a long distance trip in a Tesla and it was similar to an ICE. As expected, ask any questions and some of the Tesla fans tell you questions aren't relevant, take the information given and realize it doesn't happen often. He's the one that made the statement, I only asked for how it was possible.
Yes, I did say that the 900 or so mile trip alleviated my concerns about road trips in a Tesla. How is it possible for my concerns on that specific topic to be alleviated you ask? Well I'm not sure how to answer that without sounding like an ass I guess. But here I go.....

I'll take my last road trip as an example. Recently flew to Florida in order to pick up my E93 335i and drive it back home. The trip was a little over 1k miles from Orlando area back to Indiana. We stopped about 4 times to refill the tank. We stopped twice to sit down and eat and another couple of times for restroom breaks. When I do the rough math I'd guess we spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 hrs stopped, rough guess. With our average speed being somewhere in the neighborhood of "highly illegal" I'm guessing that the same trip in a Tesla would've required the same 4 times to "refuel". I believe the total time stopped in a Tesla would've been about the same 2.5 hours.....possibly 3hrs. In the grand scheme of things the additional 30 min overall means nothing to me, especially when combined with the fact it could've been FREE to charge.

When I do end up grabbing a Tesla there will be a wall charger in my garage. I don't think it would see a supercharger unless I'm road tripping, which is very rare these days. If I didn't have a garage it wouldn't make sense for me. If I rented and needed permission to install a wall charger it might not make sense for me. I own my home, have a 3 car garage with 2 bays that are 2 deep, and my garage is heated. No concerns about the cold draining my batteries....if that's even a "thing" at this point. In my case, when I do the math, a Tesla would've been cheaper then my 2016 Genesis AWD sedan was to own and operate...overall.

When it's Tesla time my E93 isn't going anywhere, it's paid for. My Lexus isn't going anywhere, it's paid for too. I enjoy both cars. Tesla's make sense.....for me. Tesla's are fun to pilot.....to me. Owning and operating a Tesla seems to be more economical at the end of the day....for me. I'm not trying to change minds here, only explaining how MY mind was changed. Some folks will never buy a Tesla, and that's cool. I thought the same.....until I drove one.
Appreciate 2
stein_325i25083.00