04-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #14
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
E46 or e36? The e36 solid one's a lot of people used were just delrin and were really hit or miss. Some people got no noise, some people had very loud popping noises when the arm rotated. That was a problem with that design as it was simply metal rotating in delrin.

There is an increase in NVH with any solid design, the problem is what a lot of people consider to be "horrible" is very different. I personally think it's barely noticeable, but I regularly increase the NVH in my cars in trade for performance.

As the OEM is a rubber bushing, dirt and contaminant will impact ANY other design more. The spherical bearings would be serviceable and replaceable. They would not require servicing unless they went bad.

I agree it would be best, and it would probably be what I would make for myself if I was just making one, but it is a very expensive option and I'm not sure if there would be enough people interested at that price to come anywhere near recovering costs on it. I'm going to make one version one way or the other for myself, I am just trying to see what would sell the best to mitigate costs.
While designing the new housing with spherical bearing, you can simply design a thing rubber lining that would protect the bearing from dust and this will practically make the design maintenance free
Appreciate 0