View Single Post
      03-18-2024, 02:48 PM   #100
BlueMeetsWhite
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinco000 View Post
I have fixed tons of X1s and 2 series in London. Running with the broken spring is not a safety issue. You will not fail an MOT either.
I had people asking me about this and I honestly answered them rather then milking them.
Car simply does not understand it is in park, thats all it is.
On top of the annoyance at every start or switch off engine.
Also it does not decrease the car value dramatically. Surely not thousands if the repair itself costs 1200 at the dealership.
I have repaired over 400 of these on BMW and MINI, as well as working as a BMW independent on a whole load of other stuff.

Fact is - most customers having this repair are either sick of the noises or are selling, and the dealer they are p/x ing the car with or selling the car to has automatically deducted around £1500 from the value of the car. Because the dealers don't understand the issue and associate it with gearbox faults.

I don't milk them either - simply give customers ALL the facts to make up their own mind. We always tell them it shouldn't be an MOT fail, yet customers have come to us having failed an MOT (incorrectly) and thus need it repaired in a hurry.

Poor adjustment or damage to the linkage to the gearbox, does make it possible for the gearbox to be misaligned with the position of the selector. Simply why manufacturers put a belt and braces double check on the position of the selector as well as the gearbox. And whilst, the chances are very slim -- the reason we won't code out this problem is it is possible. People have been hurt or killed by rolling cars and the reason all manufacturers do everything they can to try and stop it happening.

Plus the fault remains in the EGS - so when folks are selling the vehicle and somebody plugs in the diagnostic ... the fault is still there. Most of my customers don't want that. They want the issue resolved correctly.

I've no problem coding out bulb warnings but some things - it just isn't worth doing, when you can change the spring so easily. No having to recode the vehicle the next time the software is updated either.

The customers speak for themselves.
Appreciate 0