View Single Post
      01-15-2020, 09:47 PM   #194
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by //TMT View Post
Well, the paddles are great but in M/S mode the paddle changes are sticky. Once you touch them, the mode switches to "M" and it really means it. So, once a paddle, always a paddle. Or whack the shifter right-left to reset to "S".

In "D" transmission mode (shifter to the right), the paddles are soft, you can bop around and the car will return to automatic once you start cruising again.

So it's a very different experience. Personally, I don't find that M/S holds on to gears, unless I really tip into the throttle (where I actually want it to do that). My impression is that it's shifting just about where I'd shift a manual. Sometimes a little over, but not much. And I really like the way it downshifts, I use the brakes a lot more lightly.
Yes, exactly!

Unfortunately, the shift points in S mode are a bit too aggressive for city driving.

Also, as I previously mentioned, S mode seems to be programmed to 'engine brake' as much as possible. For example, when going downhill at 40mph the engine will stay at high revs (>4000 rpm). Depressing the accelerator to nudge it into the next higher gear doesn't seem to work. And I don't want to manually up-shift because it will go from S3 to M4 and then remain in M mode.

It's really pathetic how clunky stop-and-go performance is in Comfort mode.
Appreciate 0