View Single Post
      05-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #18
tmehanna
Private
Rep
Drives: 528i f10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfordrich View Post
Interesting and I hope it works out for you on the Z. I know a number of folks would say a break in period is not necessary (including my salesperson) . I plan on keeping the new m40i I just ordered a long time and I will follow BMW's break in recommendation. I had a 96 Z3 I purchased new for almost 20 years and very few problems. I broke it in per BMW's recommendation. It is my understanding that the break in period is important for longevity. I guess that would suggest that problems with not breaking it in properly might manifest themselves only as the vehicle ages.
There are different theories on how engines should be broken in. Some suggest they should be driven hard and redlined within the first few miles and provide evidence of the benefits. However, when you break in a new car, you're not only breaking in the engine, but also the gearbox and practically all the moving parts in the car. I personally believe taking it easy during the break in period results in better mating of the parts, and since all car manufacturers recommend a break in period, I have no reason to do otherwise. I understand that sometimes one can become too excited and impatient about exploring a new car's potential and it should be fine as long as you don't overdo it
Appreciate 0