View Single Post
      06-25-2017, 08:50 AM   #21
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Manual mode is when the shifter is to the left of the original position correct? What's the different between that and when you use the paddle shifters in the standard position?
Taking the paddle shifters out of the equation, when you move the shift lever to the left (D/S mode), the car's shift points change. So when is you are rolling along in "D", and move the shifter to the left, you'll instantly feel the car grab a lower gear and w/ the elevated RPMs, become much more responsive to any throttle input. Additionally, it will stay in lower gears longer as the car accelerates. On deceleration, the car will grab lower gears quicker also, allowing for more engine braking. All this happen automatically w/o ever touching the paddles. I find that feeling reminiscent of a car being driven w/ a manual transmission (although it all happens automatically)

If you choose t use the paddles w/ the shifter in the D/S position, you may find that you'll be be adjusting the manual shift points to compensate for the more aggressive automatic shift points in D/S.

Honestly, if you live in a relatively flat area (no hills or mountains when engine braking is used), playing w/ the paddles is more of a novelty than a performance enhancement IMO. I've not heard of anyone turning better times using the paddles than allowing the transmission to do the work instead.

I personally do not feel the need to ever use the paddles when I switch to D/S (or "D" for that matter). The ZF in sport and D/S does a far better job than I could hope to manually in making the car go fast and respond aggressively to throttle input. When I'm in "D", I'm also in Comfort mode and only want to enjoy, my music, AC, gas economy, and the compliant ride the car offers.

Not saying you shouldn't use the paddles if you choose. They are there and intended for use. For someone that wants to feel like they are operating a car w/ a manual transmission, they do provide a similar connection.
Appreciate 0