08-09-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
Jack Watts
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline2.0 View Post
Jack Watts,

Did you measure the ATF level at a specific temperature? On other non-BMW cars that I've worked on with "sealed" transmissions, the factory service manual requires measuring the fluid level within a specific temperature range. The newtis manual (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ter/1VnYiBanss) states to measure it between 35-45° C (or 95-113° F). I'm curious if you followed this protocol, too.
I did. I used a thermal thermometer pointed right at the fill plug. Past experience shows this is pretty accurate. The fluid overflowing was between "lukewarm" and "warm". I think you can use Bimmer-Link to check temps as well. I got the fluid up to around 42C and then put in the smaller secondary fill plug.

Interesting thing to note: Volvo calls for this same transmission (TG-81SC) to have the final level set at 50-60C. VW calls for the fluid to be 35-45C. This makes me thing that 1) fluid level is less critical than on some other transmissions and 2) shoot for the upper bound of 45C.

Working in a 20C garage, the fluid got up to this level after idling for 7-10 minutes.
Appreciate 0