02-26-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
honestly, I like the standard ROC better... but all the authorized dealers I went to either doesn't have the watch in stock or are not willing to negotiate too much on the price. I guess bargaining and AP doesn't go well together...
I see you are in L.A. Have you gone to the "jewelry district" downtown to see what's on offer?

Were I an AD, I probably wouldn't give you much of a discount either if you don't make a compelling business case for me to do so. Checking with various sellers in the area is a good start. Try also to find a grey market seller that's close by (within a few hours driving distance). Have you tried Philippe's? (http://philippeswatches.com/)

Truly, you shouldn't have to bargain that hard to get a discount on an ROC. If you do, just go to an AD to try on whatever you need to and then order it from one of the grey market sellers on the WWW if there isn't one local to you.
  • Jomashop offers the ROC at a 22% discount.
  • Alan Furman has them at 15% off.
  • Prestige Time at 17% off.
Just tell your AD that you don't care about the warranty because it's preposterous to you that a watch of the caliber of an AP ROC would fail within the two years they offer as the warranty period. After all what's the point of paying $20K for a watch that has a manufacturer's defect or that outright breaks in two years? That's what one would expect from a plastic Swatch, not a watch from one of the most highly regarded makers on the planet.

Throw that at him and tell him you are willing to buy right then and there at whatever represents a 25% discount off MSRP. See if he then haggles with you. Tell him you already have a firm offer at better than 20% off MSRP (don't tell him where...if he asks, tell him you don't want to compromise the seller's confidentiality) and you're happy to accept that offer, but you'd rather buy from him. If he won't best 22%, stand right there in his store and call Jomashop and order the watch. If he doesn't attempt to stop you from buying it, leave and complete the purchase from Jomashop. (Do not give the AD your phone and let them talk to Jomashop.)

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0