ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakey46 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
I've tried a few, different commercial brands. A Castrol one seems to work well but doesn't eliminate the problem
Whilst the choice of screen wash additive is important, I think it can only work if the screen is properly cleaned to start with.
Incidentally, a pal of mine had a 3 Series a few years ago (he's just bought a new X1), but had a problem with the washer system becoming thoroughly blocked up. The dealer asked him if he'd used a standard commercial screen wash additive, which he had. Fortunately, they flushed the system through as part of a service without charging him any extra to do so. They also said the the BMW additive has ingredients to ensure the system doesn't get gunged up. My wife had a Renault Clio, which suffered the same problem, which I cleared by filling the tank with a watering can of hot tap water, leaving it for a while to soften up the crud and then running through a few more cans of hot water until the screen wash jets started to work and I was satisfied the problem was cleared.
Good points. I haven't had any issues with the well-known commercial brands I've been using. More importantly, I always use demineralised water in the windscreen washer reservoir because I think water with high mineral content would be the biggest culprit.

In any case, I don't believe it is either the cleaner used, or the water that is the issue with the X1's wiper system — it's just badly designed.
Appreciate 0