05-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #8
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
So, reading some of the ESS tune impressions, it seems like something like this is a no brainer. Smoother throttle response, better midrange and top end power, noticeable improvement to overall driveability...

But there's no such thing as a free lunch, right? What's compromised with these software changes? Engine longevity? Fuel economy? Just wondering why BMW's programmers wouldn't have developed the stock DME to provide more power if the potential was there?
plenty of reasons why manufacturers downtune their car. some don't want to cannibalize sales of other models, especially turbo cars like the a4 (2.0t at 200hp crank vs their 3.2 which is 250hp), subie legacy (which i believe has a detuned sti motor), 335 (vs m3), etc. other reasons is that it's a numbers game, while most of the most reputable chip tuners do increase performance within a reasonable safety range of the motor, there's always a chance that a few owners may experience issues (my friend's gti 2.0t blew his turbo from a stage 1 upgrade which is really unheard of).

but i agree, a reputable tuner shouldn't have to resort to posting free ads on craigslist. and it takes so much time/money to unlock the dme on our cars, so for someone to have an upgrade available for many makes just isn't believable.