02-17-2020, 02:58 PM   #185
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
I agree with everything here and I would only add, relative to your supposition on night life, that it is about who you know and what events are going on.

If one wants to go out 3 or 4 nights per week, the Triangle isn't the place for you if you are a regular of the NYC scene or that is your point of reference. There are lots of young professionals that work in the Triangle and if you are in with the right crowd, there are ALWAYS parties going on. I was married when I lived there and didn't partake of the party offerings I had there but a single man in my position, at the time, would have had his dance card completely filled.

Stellar post, The_Breeze and great detail. Thanks!!
To be fair, we've been married for 32 years now, which does cover the entire time we've been in NC. We've always been active in the social scene and agree that it's like most places in terms of who you know influences your entertainment options. Sure you can find nightlife if you look hard enough, but it's just that the general vibe here is geared towards families, so it's not really the "organic" nightlife scene we find in other places we visit. Granted I've never tried dating here, but I do work in bleeding edge tech and will offer that we generally have a pretty hard time keeping the young people we hire out of college - they work here a year or 2 then get bored/frustrated and move to livelier places with better prospects. Obviously not everyone has the same experience, but playing the averages, I would say this just isn't a hotbed for singles, it's more of a hotbed for minivans, soccer moms, and golf. Granted there are a lot of hot soccer moms, but coming here for them just wouldn't be right