05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #41
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysaurus View Post
True, but the X2 is smaller than the X1 and still gets a superior badge. If the iNext is to the X7 what the X2 is to the X1, calling it an iX8 would make sense, especially considering that this is going to be their flagship SUV.
Yes, the X2, while shorter, is marketed above the X1 because it's the coupé version of the X1, just like the 4 Series, though shorter, is marketed above the 3 Series because it is its coupé version. This vehicle isn't a direct coupé version of the X7, in fact rumor is suggesting an actual X8 is being developed.

I'm aware that this model will be BMWi's new flagship (i8 aside) and is supposed to introduce visionary tech and interior design, so it does make sense to give it the highest digit in BMW's repertoire so far (8). I'm just not quite sure that this is the largest and most spacious that a BMWi SUV would get in the mid/long-term, the SUV frenzy is far from over and there may be room for a larger model above. Now of course BMW might as well name this imminent model iX8 then potentially switch the next generation to iX6 if a larger model happens to be green-lighted in the meantime.

Last edited by advantage20; 05-10-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0