10-06-2016, 07:12 AM   #179
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Enthusiasts would do well to accept the fact that there is only one formula that allows us to continue to enjoy RWD, enthusiast-focused automobiles from BMW:

Step 1) Build and bring to market cars that the average consumer wants.
Step 2) Sell a ton of them and reap the profits.
Step 3) Use those profits to continue to produce cars like the M line-up, which honestly, have very little direct business case for producing.

And yes, I recognize that BMW's brand is built on the "cars for drivers" image, but every time I get to thinking that this means they actually need to build drivers cars, I'm reminded of the survey wherein 90% of 1-series owners had no idea their car was RWD. I also have to look across the aisle to Audi, where I see FWD and FWD-based AWD cars selling like crazy.

Finally, I have to look at myself and recognize that for our household, an X3 was a fantastic purchase. The wife prefers the higher seating position when compared to a wagon, and I don't find the driving dynamics completely abhorrent.

In short, don't be a whiney little brat. So far, BMW keeps producing the cars we want. M2 anyone? The X line-up isn't dilution, it's funding. It's the funding that keeps the dream alive.
Appreciate 1