02-08-2016, 03:39 AM   #14
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
I think it really comes down to where you're coming from and your expectations. As I've also said in earlier threads, we seriously looked at the F48 X1 to replace our 2011 F25 X3 a couple of months ago and - despite ticking many boxes on paper - came away disappointed with the test drives. Road noise, wind noise, suspension noise and ride comfort - while a huge improvement from my memories of the 1st gen X1 - were a level or two below our X3. On one test drive, immediately after the X1 test drive also had a test drive of a LCI 330i wagon. Again another level above in noise and ride comfort despite riding on 19" low profile runflats. Maybe with the option of the adjustable suspension (I recall it was relatively cheap option) and swapping out the runflats for conventional tyres (and making use of the huge underfloor area in the boot for a space saver spare), most of these issues can be improved to the point that I would find acceptable. But of course there's no way of testing out this combination.

Bottom line is regardless of what motoring reviews say and even what we say here, have a good test drive of the X1 (over the roads you normally use - not the ones the salespersons directs you to) and make up your own mind. Try and get a test drive in one equipped with the adjustable dampers - at the time we did our test drives there were no such equipped X1s in Australia.

Tony
Totally agree

I run a F10 with 20" wheels on run flats and M Sport suspension, my wife currently has an A200 CDi AMG Evolution with 18" wheels on run flats. Both of these cars have very firm suspension so the F48 with M Sport and EDC on the 19" wheels will be fine for us and most likely show an improvement over what we have at the moment due to the larger profile tyres and adjustable dampers
Current: VW Transporter Sportline, F48 X1 20i M Sport. Previous: F10 530d M Sport, W176 A200 CDI AMG Evolution, E70 X5 3.0 SD M Sport, F20 120d M Sport, E81 120d M Sport, E46 325i M Sport, E46 318ci & Many Others...
Appreciate 0