02-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #5
PF1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 xDrive25i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaccon View Post
Hi,

I have a 25i on order, delivery late February. Just reading Australian Wheels COTY (Car of the Year) and the new X1 was knocked out early in the judging for:

- Harsh ride
- Noise from run flats
- Quote `Ride quality is terrible`
Cheers..

Although the X1's ride isn't particularly cushy or compliant over sharp bumps, it's no worse than other compact-sport SUVs. I think Wheels' assessment of the X1 for COTY was a bit harsh. A few pages later I was reading about the Mazda CX-3 that made it into Round 2 despite complaints about its ride on larger rims too, as well as other issues. And the 7 Series assessment was rather glowing, without any negativity that I could see, and that too was knocked out in Round 1. I think Wheels has a certain bias towards Mazda and VAG-Group cars when it comes to COTY judging. The Audi Q7 picked as a finalist and praised for its ride had air suspension, which of course comes at a price!

"While the Q7 3.0 TDI is currently the only model available in Australia, we enlisted two examples for testing; one with standard steel coil springs, and one with the optional air suspension system. Both cars rode on 19-inch Pirelli rubber, yet the two gave markedly different results, with the $4950 air-sprung option briskly deemed expensive, but worth it."

Last edited by PF1; 02-06-2016 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 1