03-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #6
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Unless you plan to live stateside for months at a time (or ultimately retire here immigration stuff aside), you will probably be better off going to a hotel or AirBNB. Although we pay no Telly taxes here, the school/property taxes alone in many areas might set you back more than a month's hotel bill every year. In some parts of California, I've heard that water bills exceed car payments.

If you want to try an investment purchase, people are picking up vacation properties in desirable locations to rent out on AirBNB. Don't forget to factor in the hassles of renting, damages, cleaning services, and a local property manager to oversee everything. Not my cup of tea, but some people are making the numbers work for them.....
Agree with this. When I retire I would like to pick areas in Europe to stay for a month or two but renting comes with a ton of advantages and I can move around. I think also unlikely to buy a property in another country as an investment and it being profitable after figuring out all costs and hassles.

I recently purchased the house next door to mine but will manage it myself and be able to know what is going on. As I rehab the place I also found out you need high priced insurance to cover a property that is vacant for long periods of time. I didn't have to get it but insurance coverage is drastically reduced if I have a problem and they find out it was vacant (should be obvious if it burns down).