11-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #21
PurePulse64
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerpost9984 View Post
Took the car to the dealership and was advised the front brake pads required replacement. But was in awe, when got told the rotors need to be replaced as part of the exercise?

This is the first time, I've ever needed to replace brake pads with BMW.
I've owned Volkswagen in the past, and never once I had to replace rotors. It was only ever replaced, when it gets severely warped. But nothing a bit of machining couldn't fix.

Can someone advise if this is a standard practice with BMW?
When I took mine in for new brakes at the dealership they said they replace the front brakes and rotors (they won't resurface) -- However, if they're doing it as part of included maintenance they'll resurface the rotors (unless they can't be resurfaced). I found that a little deceptive.

When they replaced my front brakes and resurfaced the rotors, I started getting an odd squealing sound at low speed and took it to the dealership 3 times (First time they couldn't replicate, I took videos and showed them, they replaced the brakes again, then they replaced brakes and rotors), it ended up being the rotors that caused the issue - after they replaced them, the sound went away.

But, I'm sure you could persuade them to check about resurface vs replacement - I've found when push comes to shove they'd rather have your business versus not at all (at least the dealership around here does)
Appreciate 0