08-30-2008, 04:29 PM   #10
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
So in my earlier post on this subject, I really only mentioned the attributes which are really pushing me towards the X6… but there are several attributes that keep me questioning the decision. The M-Class has a lot to offer, and a few strong points that exceed beyond the X car. And after having two examples of the M-Class over the last 8 years, with very few problems (no engine / transmission / or even electronics issues at all), I am still ‘thinking’ a little.

For example: (again, I’m only comparing the ML-550 to the X6 xDrive50i - V8 to V8)

• The M-Class is 475 pounds lighter.
• Both cars decked out with options – the ML is still going to be easily $10,000 lower in initial price
• The ML is smaller by most every dimension on the exterior, while being larger in EVERY dimension on the inside!
• ML is 3.5 inches shorter in length
• ML is not as wide – the X6 is about 3 inches wider.
• ML is 5 inches taller outside (which leads to the next point)
• ML has more headroom (1” in front, 2” in back)
• ML has more leg room (2” in front, 4” in back)
• ML has equal shoulder room up front, and nearly 3” more in the second row.
• M-Class will seat 3 in the second row.
• ML is more maneuverable in tight parking places – the turning diameter is over 4 FEET smaller for the Mercedes. It takes 42 feet between obstacles to make U-turn with the X6, but only 37.9 for the Mercedes. (I really enjoy how tightly the ML can turn around in parking lots!!).
• For some reason, the BMW does not have second row side airbags… the Mercedes does.

All of these stats come from the Comparison feature on http://autos.msn.com/. This website (MSN autos) is great for doing a side-by-side comparison for features and dimensions. They just added the X6 data a couple weeks back…

So does all this point me back to another Mercedes? Probably not. But it does give you something to think about. And if you are at all worried about second row accommodations, the M-Class is the winner (even over the X5 too). But I’m not planning to carry many people, so give me a 4.4liter, twin-turbo X6… NOW!!!

Cheers,
BRAVO!!!
Appreciate 0