View Single Post
      05-23-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
morty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6 xDrive50i

I have had 2 MLs (ML430 & ML500), and was pretty certain on the 3rd until Mercedes made running boards standard on the 2008 V8 models. I hate running boards; but it was going to be an expensive approach to NOT get them, so I started looking around… now I have a 4.4L twin-turbo X6 squarely in my sites… HOWEVER, I am still giving some thought to the ’09 ML, since I have too much time on my hands while waiting for the ’09 xDrive50i..!

The major issues in this decision for me have been:

Engine technology:
ML has a nice 5.5 liter V8, but I really didn’t want just more displacement. The turbo-charged, direct-injected 4.4 gets the nod here. More advanced technology, better efficiency, more power per liter and so-on.
Desirable features (not for everyone, but these are important to me):
X6 offers Heads-Up display, Active Ventilated seats and Soft Close doors – I just love these features. Mercedes does put ventilated seats on the AMG ML-63, but will not option them out on the ML-550… very frustrating to me. Nod to BMW.
Maintenance costs:
BMW still has 4-years fully paid service (including brake pads & rotors). For both my 2000 and 2004 M-Class SUVs, Mercedes also had free service (though it did not include pads & rotors!). Now they have dropped it – very disappointing… I know many argue that you still pay for service (only up front) when you buy a BMW – but I disagree… 4-years free scheduled maintenance is a big incentive for me to go to BMW.
Resale:
It has been very disappointing to watch the value of my M-Class vehicles go down so fast. I think the M-Class has the highest depreciation of any Mercedes, and is far worse than the BMW X5… I expect the X6 to hold value at least as well as the X5 – so another big nod to BMW.
Looks / Design:
This is totally – personally - subjective… I still like the looks of the M-Class (and the face-lifted ’09 is fine too). But the X6 is simply one of the most appealing profiles I have seen… I just love the lines of this vehicle!!! I would be fine with the ML from a looks point of view, but I have been totally taken by the X6… it’s not just another SUV – there is a far more passionate appeal to the vehicle for me.
Appreciate 0