View Single Post
      05-17-2019, 12:39 PM   #23
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

So after our 300 mile trip I'm happy to report we had no issues overall. Ride was nice, however it feels like we started to get some random vibrations at speed which I think is the tires cupping at opposite corners which I have never seen before.
The standing stop take off shimmy feels like it got worse though, obviously due to the vehicle being heavily loaded with three adults, a kid and luggage. I was so annoyed by the end of the trip I reinstalled the factory suspension and the ride is back to normal with smooth take offs.

I should also note that I checked all CV joints for any excessive play and everything was tight. That's been my main concern is damaging CV joints as I have replaced plenty of those in my lifetime to begin having to do it to our reliable hauler would not be good!

The handling compared to the KW's sucks though, and the ride height, well everyone knows how high it is from the factory.
I have a call in to KW to see if they know anything about this issue. I was thinking in hindsight I should have just reinstalled the OE rear suspension and raised the front with the KW's closer to factory height to see what happened.
OVERALL though just for reference, I only had the X1 lowered 1.5" from stock, the standing start shimmy begins to go away around 1" drop height.

One last pic of it lowered. Will play around with the suspension again in a few weeks when I have time and hopefully KW has a good answer to our question of why there is a shimmy in the first place!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0