06-25-2023, 08:07 PM   #121
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Being super successful and admired by so many - but then also not listening to those who know more about aviation/visibility and as a result not only killing themselves but others and their children as a result. The Stockton character was a big risk taker evidently, Kobe's pilot's accident was more of a surprise in a sense. My sister in law was working out next to him at Equinox the day before he died, he just came to mind regarding successful + deadly risk taking resulting in killing his own and others in the process. To me that's an extra big blindspot in ones ego to make such a costly mistake and being that high profile of a person, you'd think they would know better.
The pilot had more to do with the crash than Kobe. I worked the LA basin (LAX specifically) for many, many moons. I listened to the tape and watched the replay more than once (though not recently). Kobe may or may not have had getthereitis, but the pilot could've/should've climbed vertically to get out of the muck (the tops were pretty low, IIRC). Why he went full speed ahead toward higher terrain in the clouds (rotor-wing rules are different than fixed-wing) is beyond me. Also, why didn't he get flight following before he did? He was too low for radar tracking when he finally did call, and then it was too late.
Appreciate 1