03-03-2020, 03:55 PM   #42
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
The demand in this case is directly proportional to the amount of models they are producing with this option. 2% of NEW car sales are manual, but thats because manufacturers are forcing the issue by not offering them any longer.

This is more than just supply and demand, this is auto maker greed.
Umm ... That's precisely the point I make in the first part of the post that you quoted.

Thing is, it's not 'automaker greed'. It's economics. You do realize that every single model with a manual transmission must be certified independently for safety, emissions, etc. in every market it's sold in? Also: You do realize that developing a transmission -- even a relatively turnkey third-party solution from someone such as Getrag -- still takes millions to execute per model?

Greed doesn't make, say, BMW pull manuals from the 3 Series, or not offer a manual across the Z4 range (much less the Zupra at all). It's simply too much of a financial gamble -- and one that most automakers have documented losses in as precedent. In the case of the 3 Series, it's a lack of consumer interest because of what the 3 Series is now, and the customer base it has now (and, thus, we have the M2 Comp). In the case of the Z cars, it's simply not produced in sufficient volumes to justify the R&D and cost up front. (Yeah, the base 20i has one available now in the EU. But that's the EU ... and, likely, an experiment by BMW.) Seriously: If either sold like hotcakes, you'd likely see a manual version at some point here. But I would guess, based on how things are going now, that we won't. Ever.

And I'm not even going to get into why cars such as the C8 or the Alfa 4C aren't/didn't get manuals. Figure that out on your own. It really is pretty simple. (Hint: better!)
Appreciate 0